1.) Legacy Family Tree 7.0 --available in Danish, German, Dutch, Bokmal Norwegian, Nynorsk Norwegian and Swedish, as well as English. You can try Legacy 7.0 at no risk, and the Standard Edition is free.
"Family trees containing millions of people can be recorded, displayed and reported in a variety of styles and formats. Legacy 7.0 includes all standard genealogical reports, as well as calendars, timelines, questionnaires, research logs and a multitude of blank forms and more!"
• Pentium class computer.
• VGA or higher display.
• Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows ME*, Windows 98*, Windows NT, Windows 2000 (Legacy will run on newer Macs with Parallel, Bootcamp or Fusion. Legacy runs on Linux machines with a Windows emulator like Win4Lin, VMWare or Sun's Virtual Box)
• A Hard Disk with 97.8 megabytes of available space.
• A CD-ROM drive.
• 256 megabytes of RAM minimum.
• A mouse.
• Internet connection recommended.
• IE7 if you want to use the Virtual Earth Mapping feature.
* Win 95, Win 98, and Win Me need all available Microsoft Service Packs installed.
COST: Different Packages available from $29.95 to $59.95
2.) Personal Ancestral File -- Free PAF Family History Software
"Personal Ancestral File (PAF) is a free genealogy and family history program. PAF allows you to quickly and easily collect, organize and share your family history and genealogy information."
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: available for windows and macintosh
COSTS: FREE. Other products are available for purchase.
SUMMARIZATION: There are many, many programs out there now, unlike years ago when I started researching my ancestors. There are no right or wrong programs for use, it just depends on what fits your own needs. So take advantage of free trial offers and experiment to see what works for you the best.
Keep stopping by often as I will be adding more programs as I come across them and assess what they have to offer!